Did you know that…
- 75% of foster children and youth move 7 or more times in foster care
- 1 in 4 children in the foster care system will become homeless
- In Virginia, foster youth “age out” of the foster care system at age 18
- Only 50% of foster youth will be employed at age 24
- Only 50% of foster youth finish high school by age 18
- Less than 3% earn a college degree
- 25%-80% (depending on the state) of those in prison were once in foster care
- 71% of young women in the foster system will be pregnant by age 21
- 1 in 4 foster youth will experience PTSD
- Nearly 50% of adults who were in foster care experience serious mental health issues
Through Measure by Measure, we hope to change these statistics, to enrich the lives of foster youths with a program that has the potential to positively impact their school and work experiences, as well as their lives, relationships and futures.
Measure by Measure is Keep the Music Playing’s free music program for at-risk foster youth. Our program offers bi-weekly individual music lessons at no cost to the student with experienced, caring music instructors.
We provide participants with a loaner instrument, the necessary music books, and the opportunity to earn their own instrument after reaching individualized goals.
Music can, measure by measure, help students develop a sense of self-worth, nurture creativity, and provide a safe means of positive self-expression for foster youth, who seldom have consistent access to important extracurricular programs in the arts. We strive to provide a learning environment that fosters trust and encourages exploration.
Contact us to learn more.